In case you were wondering, some of the parts to make my groovy Rough Riders were sculpted by Rob at Curious Constructs.

Sunday 7 December 2014

Brimlock Dragoons and Praetorian Infantry Progress

Time for another update on the 1st Carabiniers, Brimlock Dragoons.
The background and first progress post on these guys are both back here.

From last post, I finished sculpting the big jacket cuffs and I added a targeting monocle. I thought this was an important addition to help balance the historical feel with the sci-fi aspect of the unit. Here are the first three monocles. 

I used a small copper rod to create the eye part. 

Here are all five with their targeting monocles done. I also sculpted a thumb for the banner bearer and added a few other details. 

The officer needed a button to hold his backpack rifle sling in place. With a bit of poking with a needle it became a tiny scull. 


Here are all of the riders finally undercoated ready for painting. 

The first undercoat of Shining Gold. 


I worked up the gold with lighter shades (Burnished Gold) and gave it a highlight with a silver-gold mix. I have painted on most of the other base colours but haven’t got very far into shading each of them yet. At this halfway point their overall look is beginning to come together.



Aside from these riders I have lined up the next projects that I want to finish off. In my cabinet I have moved my painted Praetorians to the side so I can fit in another platoon. They are undercoated and starting to get some colour on them. 


I also have some officers and commissars waiting behind them.

On my top shelf I set up all of my almost finished projects. They all just need a final push to get them done. 

Planning further forward, I wanted to make a platoon of ‘bearded’ Praetorians, except none of the original special weapon Praetorian models had beards. Thus, three flamers got a slight re-sculpt. 

After starting I was beginning to think that beards were beyond my sculpting skill but I managed to pull off reasonable looking beards. 


That’s been my month. I was recently saying to my mates that if I could find a free weekend I could get the Dragoons finished. Alas, I will have to be content with before bed 20 to 30 min periods of ‘wind down’ time. When it comes to hobby time I’ll take whatever I can get. 

Before signing off, a buddy of Muppet and mine has stared up his own blog too. It is called 'In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbyist'. Here are a few previews from his first 2 posts:
New light box.
Master of the Forge  
Grey Knight
Now we only have one gaming buddy in our group of four without a blog. I wonder how long he will last before caving in!

Cheers for stopping by,

Tallyho.

9 comments:

  1. A lot of kool stuff there. Off to check the new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed. The beards on your flame troopers really do look good. I've always loved your conversions, and the dragoons really are top. Shall you just do the 5, or do you see more coming down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Argos, I think it will just be the 5 for now. I have too many other cool 5 man rough rider squad ideas that I'd like to do.

      Delete
  3. That is some great greenstuff work on the beards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad that I got there in the end!

      Delete
  4. JUST BEAUTIFUL!

    Ooh, I've missed your stuff, cobber.

    ReplyDelete