Colonel Scipio asked about my helmet plumes and I realised I never loaded up any pics of the wire plumes. So if anyone is curious here is how I did it.
I would have greenstuffed them but I couldn't work out how with my limited sculpting skills so instead I mucked around with this electrical wire...
...I cut a section about double the length I wanted and took the plastic sheath off. Then I twisted the middle to keep the wire from falling apart. Next I folded the wire length over on itself (so it was thinker) and bent the end to the shape I wanted. I glued it on with a blob of the thickest super glue I had (and hoped that I hadn't glued it to my fingered in the process).
And here was my first and second attempt.
As I got the hang of it I made the wire lengths longer and trimmed them after they had been glued so that the bottom was straight. All in all it was actually pretty easy for an overall look that tuned out OK. I'm planning on adding another 40 rough riders so I better go and find more wire :)